Thanksgiving (low key style)

Thanksgiving is pretty much the same for everybody I know.  You either are the host or the guest.  It typically involves a table set for 8 or more adults and 4 or more children.  Lots of pre-day planning, meal prep, side dish options, appetizers galore, enough booze to sink a ship, and LOTS AND LOTS of money spent.  Not this year.  This time I am keeping it simple.  We won't be packing the kids for a hour and a half ride nor will I be panicking for a week prior about who likes what and who will sit where.  We are staying home.  Maybe that sounds boring to some but to the mother of two young children who likes to get her drink on after turkey, it works out just fine.  No driving, no stressing, no sweating over if there is enough gravy to go around.

To top off the unconventional holiday plan we are having lamb instead of turkey...OK I bought a small turkey breast, mostly for the smell not the taste, since turkey tastes to me like dried out chicken.  I made one simple pie that MY family likes, I bought one box of wine that I like, one bottle of bourbon that my husband likes, and lots of juice for the kids.  I am all set.  the lamb is marinating, the turkey is in a brine, the pie is in the fridge and I have nothing to do but sit back and wait for my bailey's and coffee tomorrow morning while I enjoy the Macy's day parade for the first time in quite a few years.  Hell, I might stay in PJ's tomorrow!

I think I just needed a year off from the hullabaloo, give someone else the chance to host the big day ya know.  Yes I will miss the banter of a large crowd but when that food coma kicks in and all I want to do is lay on the couch and pass out...I will.  And I won't feel one bit of guilt.  Oh did I mention the savings...last years turkey day cost upwards of 250.00 for that one meal...this year we sneaked a whole weeks grocery shopping trip on top of the Thanksgiving meal and still only came in at 130.00.  Not too shabby.  Hey times are tough...I am all about pinching a penny folks!
So I hope all of you are eating what you love best with the ones you love most...I know I am. <3

Menu:

Herb roasted leg of lamb in a orange, white wine, shallot, and garlic marinade
Cranberry brined turkey breast (for the kiddies)
Cornbread stuffing
Petite peas with shallots and pancetta
No. 7 Sweet potatoes (yes that No.7 is Jack daniels)
Crescent rolls
Homemade cranberry sauce
Mint Jelly (for the lamb of course)
Keylime pie

Cocktail of the day: Blizzard (in honor of the 2 inches of snow we got this morning)
3 measures of bourbon
1 measure of Cranberry juice
1 tsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp of simple syrup
Shake the hell out of it with lots of ice and garnish with cranberries YUM!

I can hardly wait!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shit talking up all night

Burning down the house (well the yard)

The peeping package and cutting bangs with dull scissors